Monday, October 6, 2014

Please don't ask...

"What are you doing on your holiday?'

I have started four weeks long service leave. I had a big chunk to dip into, a whole 23 weeks. So I have indulged myself and taken some off to do...not much. I have been asked continually what I am doing during my break, 4 weeks is quite a long time to take and my answer seemed inadequate, non deserving of the allocated time.

I don't have any trips planned. As much as I would love to see Hayley in the UK, we don't have the dosh to spend on a holiday like that. It's an expensive, long journey and I would want to see parts of Europe and the UK and she is tethered to Ipswich during the week with her full time job. If I were to go on my own to see her, the logistics of leaving family/Erin in school etc would be horrendous. I will see Hayley soon enough and she keeps me up to date with her adventures.

I don't have any big renovation or spring cleaning plans either. I might get some gardening done or clean out the linen cupboard or pantry but I might not either. My only real goal is to be prepared for the Marathon next Sunday.

I might take more photos, I might blog more often, I might do some scrapping. I might do a bit of baking for my family, I might catch up with friends. I'm not making any ambitious plans. Previously I would have put all manner of goals and achievements on myself. Not this time.

This time is going to be a breather, a regrouping time just for me. I was reading an article about a stay at home Moms perspective once all the kids are at school and how she is constantly asked what she does with her time during school hours. I liked this passage...

What kind of value do we place on a day with nothing planned? On a day not filled with lists of accomplishments, but with peace and quiet: a long walk to a coffee shop to enjoy a book, a phone conversation with a family member whom we've lost touch. Will we tell those stories, or leave them out? There is value in both the busy days and the slow, reflective ones. There is value in finding time for oneself.


This is what comes up if you Google 'relaxing'


So that is what I am doing on my leave, a little bit of this or that, maybe nothing, maybe a lot. I will go back to work knowing I have had this time for myself.







2 comments:

  1. Hi lovely. I hope you enjoy your break, however you choose to spend those days to yourself. I just wanted to let you know that I've decided to start blogging again. I'm so impressed that you've kept it up all along. I've missed it, and I've missed the connections I made when I was blogging. Anyway, just thought I'd let you know. Glad you liked the article about the SAHM. It struck a chord with me, mainly because some days I can do a lot, and some days I can do very little. I need to remember that I am valuable on BOTH of those types of days, just because I'm me. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anita you are a darling, no matter what you 'achieve' in a day you are a fabulous Mum to your boys and they will remember a loving childhood provided by caring parents.Be kind to yourself, it will be good to see some blogs...if you like,xx

    ReplyDelete